Friday, March 4, 2011

Taking Time to Stop and Smell the Roses

So this week has been a stressful week, to say the least. My week started off with my laptop dying on me. I thought I was going to have a heart attack...seriously. Not only are all of my wedding related items (contracts, ideas, favorite blogs, etc) on that computer but also all of my documents and pictures. And to top it all off this is the week all of my things are due for school. Luckily FI took it to Best Buy, thank goodness I have a 3 year extended warranty, and it was just a faulty adapter. Now I'm just waiting patiently (or at least pretending to) for my free replacement to get here. Then to add fuel to the fire I met with the assistant dean of my college to discuss my incompetent advisor. The plan was to finish my MEd in June right before the wedding. But long story short I have to switch advisors and graduate in the summer. The dean apologized for the setback but it's just frustrating. On top of trying to do a master's project, I'm looking for teaching jobs and planning a wedding!  Oh and did I mention I had to work a 10 hour shift today?

Ok, glad I got that off my chest. This week has taught me a lot. I realized that I put way to much stress on myself. I'm a perfectionist, which can be a good and a very bad thing at the same time. I try to make everything, well perfect for lack of a better word. But along the way I stress myself out while keeping it all inside. However, I've decided to change all that. FI pointed out that I need to take all of it (wedding planning, my master's project and the job search) day by day. The more I think about the long lists of things I have to do the more I want to hyperventilate. So to all of you brides-to-be out there, take time to stop and smell the roses. The planning process goes by so fast so make sure you actually enjoy it! It can get stressful sometimes but when that happens you need to take a step back. Having a drink with the girls, reading a book or spending time with the FI are just some ways to jolt you back to reality. Of course we all want our wedding day to be perfect but not at the expense of our sanity! Another great way to reduce stress is to make to-do lists for each week that way you don't feel to overwhelmed.

Even with the crazy week I can still cross things of the list:

 1) Finalize the wedding day "schedule"-- This is still rough so I'm going to put this on the list for the coming week.
 2)  finalize wording for invitations and order them--  We're done with the wording so we just need to order them. Hoping to do that by Sun/Mon at the latest.
 3) confirm rehearsal dinner site and menu   Although we loved Pompilio's, we decided to choose a different location. But the location only books their party room 3 months out so we have to call the first week of April to have it booked. The menu should be easy because it's a Cincinnati favorite ;).
 4) finalize groom's and groomsmen attire   Casey has made up his mind and I think it is going to look great :) !


Here is this week's to-do list:

1) Talk to caterer to set up a taste test and discuss other questions/concerns
2) Choose a seamstress for alterations on the dress
3) Find under-the-dress essentials
4) Figure out what things to be bought or rented for the ceremony/reception
5) Finalize the wedding day "schedule"

Have a great weekend everyone and remember to take time to stop and smell the roses :)!




No comments:

Post a Comment